They don’t call it a “foundation” for nothing! If you find a foundation problem the rest of your home is at risk and could lead to further damage and major repairs. Delaying foundation repairs can cause:
When there’s structural damage to your foundation, ultimately your home’s foundation can begin to shift or even sink! Pay close attention to your home’s interior. If you notice uneven floors or window frames that begin to crack, you’ll need to call a residential structural engineer ASAP to have your foundation fixed before the structural integrity of your home becomes compromised even further!.
Mold and Mildew
A faulty foundation can lead to moisture penetration which can ultimately lead to mold and mildew growth. This can not only cause a health risk to your family, include respiratory issues, it can make the underlying structures increasingly vulnerable to wood rot, mildew issues and further decay.
Higher Utility Bills
Foundation damage also leads to inefficient heating and cooling. With a foundation issue like cracks, your furnace and air conditioner have to work on overdrive to keep indoor temperatures comfortable. So, while it may be tempting to a foundation repair on hold due to cost, you’re actually throwing away money each month by avoiding calling a foundation repair company.
Problematic Plumbing Lines
Structural displacement puts stress on the rest of your home’s infrastructure as well. As your home shifts due to an unsteady foundation, other parts of the house, such as the interior walls, basement walls, window frames, door frames, floors, and plumbing lines take a hit. In extreme cases, you may even have a plumbing line burst! Plumbing problems can lead to a whole host of other major repairs needed, including water damage, wet subterranean conditions (yep you guessed it, more fuel for mold and mildew) and even cracked walls!
Decreased Home Value
All of the aforementioned issues can really impact the market value of your home. The property value of your home hinges on a home inspection. So, if you’re hoping to get a return on your investment, keep in mind that the foundation is one of the number one things an inspector will look at. This is why it’s critical to take care of crack repairs or any issues to your slab foundation or your pier and beam foundation before little issues become bigger ones.
Signs of Foundation Problems
Unsure if you have foundation problems or not? Here are a few tell tale signs
- Poor drainage. If you notice water pooling around the foundation of your home, this could be due to moisture penetration in your crawl space which can lead to further issues with the structural integrity of your foundation.
- Exterior Cracks. Obvious cracking on the foundation slabs are are surefire sign of foundation problems. You should also keep an eye out for cracks inside your home, such as drywall or the tile in the kitchen or bathroom..
- Bowing walls. Walls which are pulling away from the house are a major cause for concern and can cause collapse.
- Rotten pier and beam foundation.
- Door gaps. Doors which don’t seem to be hanging evenly within the frame and are pulling away from a wall is sign to most homeowners that it’s time to call in a professional. Sticking windows are another indication you could be having foundation issues. As moisture begins to seep into the home, the woods begins to expand, causing windows and doors to stick.
- Humid air in crawl spaces. Foundational cracks lead to moisture and moisture often leads to humidity. While a little moisture is okay, if you notice pooling or major water stains beneath floors while in the crawl space, it’s time to call in the experts.
- Sagging floors. Too much moisture beneath floors can cause them to begin to sag, warp and crack. Sagging and uneven floors are a major red flag and an indication that you’re in need of a quality foundation repair.
- Pests. Bugs and rodents are often attracted to moisture, and cracks are just one big flashing “welcome” sign to creatures of all kinds. If you’re noticing more bugs and pests than usual in combination with any of the above, you’re likely in need of a professional evaluation.
Worried about your foundation? Unlimited Drilling & Foundations Inc. can help correctly diagnose foundation issues and help get your foundation repair started!
About Unlimited Drilling
Founded in 1993, Unlimited Drilling & Foundations Inc. specializes in all aspects of foundation repair, slope stabilization and drainage systems. To date, they’ve completed 1000’s of project – on time and within budget. We pride ourselves in doing the job right the first time for a very competitive price.